Leap of Faith

Friday, April 14, 2006

First of Summer - Urbandub, I quote -- "This heartfelt leap I surrender".

So when do we actually take that infamous "Leap of Faith"? What does it actually mean? How do we know that we should? Who should?

I asked my ever reliable companion, GOOGLE and here's what he had in store for me:
Leap of faith defined: is the act of believing in something without, or in spite of, available empirical evidence.

Operative words:
1. Empirical. Whoa. And when did I actually last hear the word "Empirical"?! You wouldn't believe that I still remember the exact person, exact time, and exact facial expression she had while uttering the word.. "Em-pi-ri-cal". My gosh, my hatest Chemistry teacher back in third year highschool. Sounds nostalgic isn't it? I had my fingers counting to back track how many years was it then.. Blech! But as I remembered, she was explaining (with her shoulder pads flying across the class room:P) Empirical relies on observation. Based on experience. Theories banned.
2. Faith. Mostly in religion context, coined with trust and loyalty. But what exactly faith means? Some say that it is just obscuring a state of fear or denial.. and that it is used as a shield for fear when truth is unattainable. However, as I have defined it myself, or with which some definitions I truly agree upon is that -- Faith, more than a belief and a state, is a relationship that we have fully surrendered to have embraced upon. We do not need proof or any logic explanation why we have committed ourselves into it. And that doubt is completely inadmissible.

So when do we actually take that leap of faith? Besides EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE and the presence of INDUBITABLE FAITH. Even if the irony of absolute uncertainty has pre-occupied your mindset, the strength of your heart's uttered trust and belief must alleviate with compassion.

You can take half the step. But not a leap. Faith comes with entirety, you either lose it with all doubts or embrace it with complete surrender.

[get this widget]

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work
»